Wednesday, July 8, 2020 | 1:14 p.m.
This year’s Global Gaming Expo in Las Vegas has been canceled because of the coronavirus pandemic.
The trade show, which drew about 30,000 attendees to the Sands Expo and Convention Center last year, will not take place in October, the American Gaming Association announced today.
It isn’t planned to return now until October 2021, the association said.
The decision was made largely because of global travel restrictions due to the pandemic and “currently unknown guidance on large public gatherings this fall,” Bill Miller, president and CEO of the association, said in a statement.
Organizers of the expo, commonly referred to as G2E, are expected to announce plans for some virtual events and education sessions later this year, according to the association.
“In light of continued uncertainty around a viable marketplace at a physical G2E show, we have come to the unfortunate conclusion that we simply cannot hold an in-person G2E this year,” Miller said.
Production of the show is a combined effort between the American Gaming Association and a company called Reed Exhibitions.
“We arrived at this decision after thoughtfully engaging with national, state and local public health authorities, as well as exhibitors and buyers who have shared industry observations and priorities,” Herve Sedky, president of Reed Exhibitions Americas, said in a statement. “It became clear that proceeding with an in-person gathering simply was not feasible.”